Ten Interesting Facts About Mauritius
1. Mauritius is the most densely populated country in Africa and the 17th most densely populated country in the world.
2. Among all developing countries, Mauritius has the highest life expectancy at 73 years.
3. The legendary dodo bird was found only in Mauritius before it became extinct.
4. Despite its extinction, the dodo remains Mauritius’ national animal.
5. Mauritius is an island created by underwater volcanic eruptions. The first people to set foot on it were the Portuguese.
6. Mark Twain has been quoted as saying, “You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first, and then heaven, and that heaven was copied after Mauritius.”
7. Mauritius does not maintain a standing army.
8. While many countries consider it polite to receive gifts with both hands, Mauritians prefer to receive things with the right hand only.
9. The top money earner for the economy of Mauritius is sugarcane, which is planted on 90% of the country’s arable land.
10. The name of Mauritius is a derivation from the name of Maurice de Nassau, a prince of the Orange principality, a former feudal state of Provence.
Read more at http://www.travelingeast.com/africa/mauritius/ten-interesting-facts-about-mauritius/