Why you should visit Portugal
Here are 10 good reasons to put Portugal on a to-see list. Add to the reasons below friendly, helpful people, an excellent transportation system and a country safe for travel.
- Fabulous beaches
- Evora. An ancient town with its 16th century fountain in the main square, Evora is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Fresh Fish and Shellfish. Seafood is abundant in Portugal, a land of fishermen and world sailors.
- Tavira. A picturesque seaside town in the Algarve, Tavira is famous for its many churches and offers several eras of history beginning with the Moorish occupation
- Monchique and Silves. One of the highest points in the Algarve, Monchique can be reached by hairpin, narrow roads. From this hill town, the view south is spectacular
- Good Wine and Pretty Pottery. Portugal produces a good selection of both red and white wines, starting at about $3
- Sintra. Close to Lisbon, Sintra is a UNESCO World heritage site named for its cultural aspects.
- Fado Music. Many hotels and pubs throughout Portugal host fado music concerts, a type of urban folk music with nostalgic, often mournful lyrics, accompanied by guitar
- Pousadas. While Portugal is noted for its affordable accommodation, particularly for long-stay winter vacations, a night in one of the country’s historic pousadas is an experience worth the extra money.
- Great Climate. Portugal enjoys good weather and especially in the Algarve, it’s year-round
Posted on October 8, 2014, in Explore Destinations, General Reading, Travel Tips and tagged Algarve, Evora, Fabulous beaches, Fado Music., Lisbon, Monchique, Moorish occupation Monchique, Portugal, Sintra, Tavira., UNESCO World Heritage Site. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.